Romantic braid meets
messy pony. Perfectly unperfect spring hairstyles fit for the upcoming music festivals and casual beach hangouts.
All photos by Meaghan of Meaghan Clare Photography. This art teacher is a natural light photographer and enjoys decorating and updating her home in her spare time! You can follow Meaghan on her blog, Instagram @meaghan_clare_, or Facebook Meaghan Clare Photography.
About Hairstylist Ashley Dyson
By special request, we’re providing you with more step-by-step hair tutorials courtesy of Ashley Dyson of Define Hair in Ellicott City, MD! You may remember Ashley’s holiday hair tutorial on my blog which you will find here. Her inspiration for this season is to create a few looks worthy of music festivals like Coachella! These hairstyles can actually be worn to any event during the year, so go ahead and style these looks proudly!
About Define Hair Salon
Define Hair has been around for four years and is owned by husband and wife team, Jason and Rachel Gribbin. Get the latest trends in haircuts, hair color, styling, and hair care! Define provides high-quality salon service by well-experienced artists/stylists! The salon also offers Style Society – a monthly blow-out membership which comes in packages of 2 or 4 visits. Want to see what specials they offer this month? Visit their Monthly Deals and Specials page to get the latest service promotions.
Contact them at (410) 696-1400 or book online to schedule your appointment!
Here are the products and tools you may need to achieve these looks:
Romantic Half-Up Twist Style
- Prep hair with Pureology Style and Protect Soft Finish Hairspray to help style curls. Section hair and curl with Formawell Straightener by clipping the hair in between the plates close to your scalp (or wherever you want the curls to begin), twist the straightener full rotation, hold the end of your hair with the other hand, and gently glide the straightener down the strand.
2. Take a section of the hair from the very top and tease from underneath. Once done creating volume, lightly brush the very top to eliminate any “frays”.
3. Next, take a piece of hair from one side and twist it about 3 to 5 times (adjust according to
4. While holding the twisted hair, loosen it slightly by pulling the hair toward the base.
5. Anchor in place by pinning to the other side.
6. Repeat on the opposite side and continue alternating until you have three twists overlapping each other on each side.
7. Take the ends of the twisted strands and tuck them in with pins.
8. You can stop there, but if you’d like, you can tie a scarf and make a bow (here’s a dupe to the scarf) to the very last twisted section.
9. Curl additional sections for a finished look. Finish with Pureology Wind Tossed Texture Finishing Spray
Simple Scarf Braid
- Take half-up twist braid look and undo the last two of the three twisted sections on each side (until you’re down to one twisted hair section still pinned to each side). You’ll use this hair section as a placement holder for the scarf.
2. Drop the scarf (dupe here) behind the twisted hair section.
3. Braid the scarf into the hair. Add the scarf as one of your 3 braiding strands and braid away. Secure with elastic band when finished.
4. Loosen the braid by pulling it outward to create a relaxed and broader braid.
5. Secure the end of the braid by tying the scarf. Finish with Pureology Wind Tossed Texture Finishing Spray.
Here’s a similar look recreated by video:
Twisted Full Volume Pony
- Start with slightly wavy hair using Formawell X Kendall Jenner 1″ Straightener.
2. Take the top third of your hair and secure to have it out of the way.
3. Divide the remaining section into thirds (left, middle, right). Take the middle section and do a pony using 2 to 3 clear elastic bands (sometimes the weight of the hair tends to break the elastic so better to have multiple bands).
4. Tease underneath the pony to create volume and have texture.
5. Take each of the side sections, twist tightly, then pin to
6. Then take an elastic to secure both the ponytail and side pieces into one.
7. Unpin the rest of the hair on the top. Separate into sections and tease underneath for volume
8. Take the front middle section and pin to
9. Once all the hair is pinned down, take 2 or 3 elastic bands and put everything in one big ponytail.
10. Take a small section underneath your ponytail and wrap around the base of the ponytail. Pin the end underneath to hide it.
11. Make adjustments and spray to finish.
(As soon as we are able to provide a tutorial video for Romantic Half-Up Twist and Twisted Full Volume Pony, we will update this post).
Thanks again Ashley for giving us this tutorial! If you’re in the Maryland area, book with Ashley at Define Salon in Ellicott City (I’ve been using Ashley for years! Any of the stylists are great though!). Tell them Cynthia of Predupre sent you! Use promo “DEFINE ME” and receive a free haircut with any specialty color service or $20 off a haircut for new guests!